Introduced in the F-Series Table of Organization in the spring of 1944, the mortar platoon was the battalion’s mobile artillery force. The tubes and crews came from disbanded weapons companies. In addition to the large 81mm mortars, the platoon’s headquarters also carried four smaller 60mm mortars in reserve. In at least one instance, on Iwo Jima, the mortarmen were sent forward and attached to Able Company as riflemen.
Series F Heavy Mortar Platoon (March 1944 – 1945)
Platoon Leader (Lieutenant)
Assistant Platoon Leader (Lieutenant)
Platoon Sergeant (Gunnery Sergeant)
Ammunition NCO (Sergeant)
Wire Chief (Sergeant)
One Telephone Operator (Private/PFC)
Two Messengers (Private/PFC)
Vehicles: Two hand carts.
Two Mortar Sections – EACH
Section Leader (Platoon Sergeant)
Four Mortar Squads – EACH
Squad Leader (Corporal)
Assistant Gunner (Private/PFC)
Four Ammunition Carriers (Private/PFC)
Vehicles: Four hand carts.
Total Personnel: Two officers, thirty-six enlisted.
The information contained herein is based on the GHQ Table of Organization & Equipment #3, 1994.